Saturday, November 14, 2015

Evol Burrito Review: Chicken, Rice & Bean

The chicken, rice & bean frozen Evol Burrito is the perfect solution for those days that I don’t have time to cook or actually don’t feel awake enough to cook.  It only takes 2 minutes and 45 seconds to heat up in the microwave. I know what you’re thinking, that frozen burritos are unhealthy and don’t have a lot of flavor but that isn’t the case with this burrito. I think it’s the best frozen burrito I have ever tasted.

 The description of the chicken burrito on the package states that the burrito is made with “tender free-range chicken braised in a sweet guajillo chile sauce, pinto beans, rice, Monterey jack cheese and an authentic tomato & roasted corn salsa-all hand rolled together in an insanely tasty flour tortilla.” Delicious! Also, it is a meal that will provide you with 21 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber. It kept me full for hours!

 Beside the great taste, I love how the burrito is made with free-range chicken raised without any antibiotics and the cheese in the burrito comes from cows that were not given RBST (a growth hormone that a lot of cows are given).  Also, the list of ingredients contains things that I might find in my own kitchen, things like:  tomatoes in juice, garlic, jalapenos, lime juice, pinto beans, Monterey jack cheese, cilantro, water, etc. It makes me feel good to know that I am eating a product that lists ingredients that I actually recognize! A lot of the ingredients found in other frozen burritos are not ingredients you would find in your own kitchen. Their ingredients are found in chemistry labs and you have no idea what they are or what they are made out of when you read them on that ingredient list. If you want to eat something like this, be my guest but I think I’ll stick with my Evol burrito.
I found my Evol burrito at my local Whole Foods grocery store but according to the company’s website the burritos are sold all over the U.S. so you should be able to find their burritos at your local grocery store.
If you do decide to try one of their burritos let me know what your opinion is! They have lots of different flavors to try if you are not a fan of chicken burritos. My husband brought the shredded beef flavor recently so I will have to ask him what he thought of it. I can’t wait to try their veggie fajita and egg & potato burritos next! I especially want to try the egg & potato burrito because the egg in the burrito comes from cage free chickens.
The only downside of the burrito is that the burritos are kind-of expensive as far as frozen burritos go. The sell for an average of $3.00 a piece, but I think they’re worth it because most fast food meals cost more than that these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment