Thursday, December 3, 2015

A sweet boozy dessert in 5 minutes!

At long last, I have found a dessert that I don’t feel guilty about eating.  My husband has quite the sweet tooth, so I am always on the lookout for desserts that are of a healthier kind.  When I was flipping through my August issue of Real Simple magazine I knew I had found the perfect healthier dessert to make for him. The recipe was from their “3 Ingredient Summer Recipes” article and the three ingredients in this recipe are: honeydew melon, fresh basil leaves and a white sparkling wine of your choice. It has got to be one of the easiest and quickest desserts to make on the planet.
You can use any brand white sparkling wine of your choice in the recipe but I recommend using Round Barn Winery’s Artesia Spumante sparkling wine. The winemaker’s describes the wine as “bright, fresh and softly sweet this wine is a perfect example of a Spumante that is not overly sweet.” I used this wine in the recipe and I thought it paired beautifully with the honeydew melon and basil leaves.
Round Barn - Artesia Spumante
 Round Barn winery is located on the southwestern side of Michigan and it is one of my favorite wineries to visit. My husband & I always have a great time when we visit one of their tasting rooms or attend one of their parties.  The staff is always friendly and willing to answer any of the questions you may have about their products. Many of my husband’s & my favorite wines are from this place. With their wide selection of wines, microbrew beers, brandies and vodka available to taste in their Baroda tasting rooms I’m sure you will find something you love and have to buy a case of!   We always seem to leave there with a case of wine.  Some of our favorites include the Vineyard Tears white wine, the Apple Demi-sec fruit wine, and the Pinot Noir.   If you are feeling daring, one staff member suggested you can blend the Apple Demi-sec with a quality vodka for a great martini.

Here’s the recipe via Real Simple magazine:

Melon with sparkling wine

Serves 4| Total Time: 05m
Directions
  1. Using a soup spoon, scoop half of a 5-pound honeydew melon into bite-size pieces and divide among bowls.
  2. Dividing evenly, pour 1 cup sparkling wine over the melon and sprinkle with ¼ cup torn fresh basil leaves
Side note: Make sure you use fresh basil leaves in this recipe because I really don’t think that dried basil leaves would taste very good in this dish.  The fresh basil leaves are really what make this dish taste great, the dish is really kind-of plain without them.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment