Friday, September 11, 2015

It’s Apple Cider Time!

I am craving some fresh pressed, tasty apple cider.   I know cider mills aren’t found in every state in the U.S. but if you’re lucky enough to live somewhere that does have cider mills then this might be your favorite time of the year. B & I visited Goodison Cider Mill, located in Goodison Village, MI a few weekends ago. We planned it out so that we could go for a six mile run on Paint Creek Trail which is an 8.9 mile long trail that runs from Rochester, MI to Lake Orion, MI.
1/2 Gallon Jug of Fresh Goodison Apple Cider

It also happens to go right through Goodison Village where the cider mill is located. So, we parked near the trail and run our six miles and then walked over to the cider mill. We figured since we had just burned all those calories during our run that we had earned the right to have some cider & donuts. I normally don’t like donuts, but, the donuts from Goodison Cider Mill are the best and they are the only place I will eat donuts from! They have three kinds of donuts: plain, cinnamon & sugar and glazed blueberry donuts. Their glazed blueberry donuts are AMAZING and I have never found them at any other cider mill. I also happen to think their cider is the best around as well, though I may be a bit biased, as I have been going to this cider mill since I was a kid.   My favorite way to drink the cider is to heat it up for a couple minutes on the stove with some nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves added to it. It is just such a nice treat on a chilly fall day. B’s favorite way to drink cider on a chilly fall day is also a nice treat. He likes to heat it up as well and then add some spiced rum to it. :)
Mug of Warm Apple Cider
 Cider is also used a lot in cooking. It pairs very well with pork dishes; it can be made into apple cider syrup (for pancakes!), put into stews, breads, soups and whatever else your imagination can think of!
Anyway, since it has been a few weeks since we drank the last of our cider I am already thinking about going to get more cider.  The cider is only available for a few months a year so I always try to make the trip out there a few times each year. It is about a 40 minute drive one way to get to Goodison Cider Mill but it is totally worth it. There is another cider mill that is about 20 minutes from my house but they aren’t as good so I don’t even bother going there.

Side note:

I am planning on running a half marathon in the spring. So, hopefully, someday soon I will be able to start running the trail at its start in Rochester then run to the trail’s end in Lake Orion and then turn right around and run all the back to Rochester again! If I can do that, that’s about an 18 mile run, then I think I will be ready to run that half marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment